What better way to learn about living abroad than through other expat’s experiences? Read our latest Resident Interview! Here, you will meet Diana Vidal, who relocated from Mexico to The Hague with her family and is currently residing in one of our Hoge Duin serviced apartments.
Before we start, could you please introduce yourself?
- Hello!I am Diana Vidal. I am 45 years old and I am from Colombia. I moved to the Netherlands with my family: my daughter, my husband and my two dogs. We all came to the Netherlands after my company relocated us from Mexico.
When staying away from home for business, finding somewhere that is more than just a place to sleep can make all the difference. Why did you choose a serviced apartment of Corporate Housing Factory (instead of a hotel)? What do you see as the main advantages?
- This type of housing gave us everything we were looking for. It is a cozy, warm place where we can relax and it feels like home. It was perfect for the first couple of weeks. Not only did it have a great location but it also allowed us to have our dogs with us which is very important.
I understand you’ve been living in the Netherlands for a little while now. Looking back, what do you wish you knew before you moved to The Hague?
- Since we come from very tropical weather we were expecting summer to be much warmer, however most summer days require a coat or sweater because it’s very windy.
What are the best things to do in the area, or perhaps to watch out for; anything to recommend to future residents?
- We really enjoyed the beautiful woods that are right next to the apartment. It is great for walking our dogs and taking in the sun on weirdly sunny days. There are several restaurants, supermarkets, bus and tram stations nearby that allow us to go anywhere in the city.
Do you have any blogs/websites/apps you would recommend to people who are new to the Netherlands?
- The official expat center website is filled with a lot of helpful information that might be useful: https://www.thehagueinternationalcentre.nl/